Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Unrequited Love & Sam Cooke: His & Hers Valentine's Picks

I thought it would be fun to do a little couple's post before Valentine's Day. And NO--you do NOT have to be in a relationship during Valentine's Day. Some of my most favorite 'Valentimes' were when I was single, at home, cutting out paper hearts for my roommate and drinking rosé. Embrace love of all kinds--it's lovely.

Regardless, my husband, Christian, and I put together a few of our favorite romantic books, movies and songs. Albeit, this changes from day to day for me, but it was fun nonetheless. Although, I did notice an "unrequited" theme in my choices. What does that say about me? ...Here are our picks!


His
:
Book: “Araby” (from Dubliners) by James Joyce. One of Joyce’s finest stories, “Araby” follows a young narrator who falls in love with the older sister of one of his friends, and desperately wants to make her happy. Joyce captures the wild, irrational, and electric confusion of young love, as well as the ultimate frustration and bewilderment it brings.

Movie: Moonrise Kingdom. Wes Anderson’s latest movie is a charming portrayal of the innocence and simplicity of young love. Sam and Suzy take off, leaving behind the dysfunctional relationships of the unhappy and lonely adults around them, to have themselves a damn adventure. It’s a concentration (or celebration) of many of Anderson’s quirks and whims (imagined books and maps, perfect symmetry, impeccably controlled color). And it’s absolutely charming. View the trailer:


Song: Sam Cooke, “You Send Me” One of the best. There’s a purity to Cooke’s voice (as well as his writing) that comes across so poised, especially when paired with the simplicity of the arrangement. The backup vocals and guitar are floating, the percussion classically subtle, but that voice is rich, up front, and the absolute star of the show. Listen:


Hers:
Book: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Okay, I'll admit it, I saw the movie first. But this story is by far one of the most romantic and lovely that I have ever read. I relate very much to Marianne Dashwood, who represents sensibility, although I wish I had a bit more of Elinor's sense. About unrequited love, true love and patient love, this is by far my pick for a perfect Valentine's read.

Movie: Christian argued with me on this one, but I found Celeste and Jesse Forever to be completely romantic, despite being incredibly heartbreaking. Without giving away the ending, this film, about a married couple that is getting a divorce, deals with best friends as lovers and vice versa. I sobbed. SOBBED. And I highly recommend it. It will make you laugh and hug your loved ones closer. View the trailer:


Song: The Smiths, "There is a Light That Never Goes Out." Little known fact about me (if you met me within the last seven years of my life)--I'm a Morrissey fan. A big one. I find his lyrics delightfully masochistic and romantic, especially in this old Smiths ballad, "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out." With lyrics like, "If a ten-ton truck kills the both of us--to die by your side, well the pleasure, the privilege is mine." Sigh:


What are your favorites?


Blogging tips